Friday, June 25, 2010

Reflections and Fuckery

I don't know why it bothered me so much, but I recently saw a pair of shoes on Etsy that were being passed off as "vintage" when they clearly were not. I dropped a friendly convo to the seller of said shoes, to let her know that she may have been bamboozled.

I got a rather terse response back from her. I wasn't trying to start anything. I just wanted to point out that the average Etsy shopper is very savvy and knows their history. I didn't want her to have any trouble from a potential shopper who would see that her description was false.

Silly me for trying to be nice.

But here's the deal...Etsy is not Ebay. You can post anything on Ebay and auction it off for whatever someone is willing to pay. Etsy is a forum for artists, crafters and collectors. Etsy caters to a different audience, an audience who knows and appreciates the artist's way. I guess I was just trying to protect our little place on the web. That's all. I'm learning, at 37 years old, that I just need to let go of things like this and not to take it too personally. Crazy that I haven't figured it out yet. Oh well.

This is a nice segue into my latest project idea, though. I'm going to upcycle a bunch of mirrors I found at a thrift store. I must get to work on the sketches, and I'll post them here later. Ta for now.

POST SCRIPT: I have recently been turned onto to www.regretsy.com and can't stop Belgian ROFL!

Take a look at this category; Things that clearly are not vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment